On the dominant rocky edge above Bled Lake stands one of the oldest medieval fortresses in Slovenia. The castle was first mentioned in 1011. In 1858, after centuries of dominion, the Bishops of Brixen sold their property to the industrial Ruard. Later the castle came under the ownership of the ban’s domain, and since 1999 its owner has been the state. Experts from the National Museum arranged a smaller collection of the history of Bled and interior design of past centuries in the most representational rooms of the castle. The castle is open to the public.