It is probably one of the most photographed pieces of writing in the world and the trademark symbol of the city of Los Angeles. In 1923, a real estate company installed the HOLLYWOODLAND lettering in the Hollywood Hills above Hollywood, a district of Los Angeles. The 15 m high and 137 m long lettering was intended to advertise properties for sale in what was then a less attractive district and would then be dismantled after 2 years. However, it remained for a long time after this. In the 1940s, the lettering was becoming somewhat decrepit and the H was missing. In 1949, the decision was taken to restore the lettering and remove the LAND syllable. In the 1970s, the lettering was damaged again and the cost of a renovation was deemed to be too high. However, help was at hand and the individual letters were auctioned off as part of a charity gala for US$ 27,700 each. In August 1978, the letters were removed and Hollywood was without its name for 3 months. The lettering has been here ever since – although in a somewhat modified form to mark special occasions. During the Pope’s visit in 1987, for example, it was changed to HOLYWOOD for a few days.