Lying at the confluence of the river Mürz and the river Mur, Bruck an der Mur has always been an important traffic hub, even in prehistoric times, and its importance grew steadily during the era of the railway. In 1868 a bridge had to be built for the connection to Leoben but it only had a single track and was soon hopelessly insufficient. During the Second World War it became necessary to build the present bridge which went into operation in 1940. The truss bridge is an all-metal construction with a span of 100 m and weighing approx. 540 tonnes. The model was donated by Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB) Graz.