One of the last traditional windmills in Austria, the windmill near the town of Retz is the only one currently in working order. In its present form it was built around 1855, replacing an old wooden mill. The mill is the landmark of Retz, the largest wine-growing area in Austria and was classified as a historical monument in 1954. Production stopped in 1927 because the taxes were too high. The sails have a diameter of 20 m and are 2.50 m wide. By adjusting the angle of the shutters, it can cope with all wind speeds. It used to be a post mill before it was converted into a masonry tower mill where the turret on top can be turned to keep the sails pointing into the wind. Since 1833, the Bergmann family has been the owner of the windmill and established a museum in the mill.