Thanks to its great historical and economic importance Heidenreichstein was granted its town charter in 1932. The place was first mentioned in documents in 1205, a few decades after the castle was founded in 1180 or thereabouts. The castle survived centuries of war, fire and repeated devastation, as well as the Thirty Years’ War and the French wars. With its mighty square and round towers, Heidenreichstein is Austria’s most beautiful and best preserved castle with a moat. The castle is still the permanent domicile and administrative centre of the lordship of Heidenreichstein. It was in possession of the Princes of Pallfy for a long time until 1947 and has been the property of the Kinsky Family since 1961. The castle can be viewed on a guided tour. While part of the trench has been filled in today, the model in Minimundus reproduces the entire moat from the Middle Ages which went all round the castle.