Built by Italian master builders in the 16th century, this palazzo is one of the most beautiful Renaissance buildings in central Europe. It was named after its princely masters, the Porcia family, and served as their residence until 1918. The three-storey building with its four wings around an attractive arcaded courtyard may be in the style of a palazzo but the fact that it is freestanding and not attached to any houses is characteristic of a “schloss”. On the other hand the monumental towers indicate that fortifications were also necessary and these are typical elements of a Medieval castle. The Renaissance Schloss Porcia represents a successful union of castle, palace and palazzo. Since 1930 the building has been owned by the town of Spittal, forming a popular backdrop for social and cultural events such as the comedy festival. The palazzo contains a museum of traditional folk culture and a gallery.