It is not really known, when the Steiner Gate was actually built but it is assumed that work began after the Dominican monastery had been built at the beginning of the 14th century. Right up to the middle of the 18th century, the gate only consisted of a rectangular block and was part of the town walls. An octagonal tower was subsequently added. The two towers to the sides with their tall conical roofs reflect old, even classical traditions but the Baroque extension actually dates back to 1754. In 1906 the16th century fortifications on either side of the gate were torn down and now it stands on its own.